Friday, April 13, 2012

Recommendations: Top 3 Grocery Stores in Dallas for the Budget-Conscious

We all know that groceries are expensive. I used to cringe when I went to the grocery store because I knew that I was about to drop $100 and all that I would have in the basket are a couple of boxes of cereal, a few cans of soup, and some chicken breasts! With this in mind, I decided to venture out and find the best grocery stores with the best products and prices for people like me who wish to save a buck or two! You may be surprised with these recommendations, but feel free to throw in your own opinions!

#3. Aldi- 1601 W. Northwest Hwy
This particular store is closest to me, but they are spread out all across the metroplex making it easy to find. Now, you may be looking at me saying, "Aldi? Really?" Well, yes! Aldi specializes in the most sought after items and places a great price on them. The quality is very near what you're used to with a name brand, but it's a better price. I feared that it was a dreaded Sack N Save disaster waiting to happen, but after having the products, I am convinced! I was able to purchase quality whole chickens, 3 to 4-lb roasts, fresh produce, and Tide's-equivalent laundry detergent for a fraction of the cost. It's a staple for us when things are a little tight.
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU: Bring your own bags from home, because they'll charge you $0.07 to $0.10 per bag. They don't take credit cards, only cash and debit.

#2. Super Target - 6419 Skillman St.
This location is under construction for a remodel right now, but it's awesome. Most people don't realize that the prices at Target are very similar (and sometimes cheaper) to Walmart's prices, but that fact alone makes for guilt-free shopping. One of the more impressive things about the store is the spice and foreign food section! They have a huge selection of indian, chinese, and japanese cuisine items with great prices! Fish sauce, cardamom, even curries! They also have a clearance/stock up and save section nearly every day of essential items that are discounted very well and, for those name brand shoppers, every now and then, the name brands are a better price than the store brands. Now that's awesome!

#1. Sunflower Food Market, 1800 N. Henderson Ave.
I was so impressed by this little store that I had to put them on this list! Sunflower, in a nutshell, is the more affordable version of Whole Foods Market. I call it the "little market that could"! :-) HIGHLIGHTS: The produce section is beautiful and replenished daily, the seafood is amazing at a pretty good cost, and you can buy good quality wine for like $3, not that I do it, but I was mentioning it for reference. (Everyone knows that I'm the biggest square in America.) Fresh baked bread engulfs your senses when you first walk in and they have a great mix of organic and non-organic foods, so the decision is up to you! It's small, but it gets the job done with healthy products that won't break the bank.

Do you have any other stores that you like? Post them here and let me know! Perhaps I'll check it out on my next grocery trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment