Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Little Encouragement to New Parents

I felt compelled to give a little encouragement on this subject because I need to encourage myself. I've discovered that if I help someone else, it is very beneficial to me. If you are parents to young children at home, particularly under the age of 2, then it's a good possibility that you need a good pat and rub on your back with a little reassurance. That's what I'm here for.

As we speak, my son has just randomly woke up and is screaming for me. He first started sleeping through the night at 11 months and it was awesome, but after 6 months of restful sleep for us all, things have reverted back to him waking up in the middle of the night! We had tried every possible method when he was a newborn, the Ferber method, the Sears method, cousin CeCe from down the street's method, EVERYTHING! Nothing that we tried worked! It was such a frustrating time and I've shed many tears on the living room couch due to lack of rest, but somehow we eventually found a routine that worked for us. I guess now we'll have to figure something else out for our growing boy. 

My baby, Kingston, 2 weeks old
 One thing that I had to remember in my frustration is that he's only going to be this age once. He's only going to need me to comfort and carry him for only a little while before he grows up and becomes an independent person in society. One day in the near future, I will look back and wish that I could have him long for his mommy again the way he does now. With that in mind, I must grin and bear these sleepless nights with my little toddler because I'm pretty sure that the upcoming sleepless nights with a teen will be way worse -and more numerous- than this!

Kingston, 17 months old

So, I say to you, cherish this time, no matter how hard it may be. It's so amazing to see your little creation discover new things, walk around,  and develop. I'm still amazed 17 months later of my son's changes and I will forever be amazed! I believe that having a child is an awesome responsibility, one that neither you or I should take lightly. Our jobs as parents are not just to provide for our children, but to instill wisdom, knowledge, and understanding into them so that they are equipped to handle life's challenges with all of the right tools.

With that in mind, my little man has settled down and THAT is my cue! I'm off to bed!

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment